Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Don't Worry, Be Happy

What would it look like to not worry? Worry by definition is: "a state of anxiety or unease over real issues". It places us in a perpetual state of anxiety, fear and dread usually over things we can not control. I believe we have created a culture of worry in the world. We worry about everything from our families, our money, our neighbors, our life to our political leaders, our nation and the world. The list could go on and on. We say things all the time like: "you know what worries me?" or "I am worried about....." or "I'm your parent so I'm supposed to worry" or "I'm just a worry wart". The point is not only have we created a culture of worry, but we also wear it like a badge of honor as part of who we are. That is just silly. Here is the problem with that. Jesus told us not to worry. He didn't say not to worry about certain things, but He said not to worry, period. His exact quote: "do not worry about this life" (Luke 12:22). You can't get much clearer than that. He went on to explain that if His Father takes care of the birds of the air then He will take care of us. He asked, "what one person has added even an hour to their life by worrying?" He made it pretty clear that worry is not allowed. 

You see, the reason worry is not allowed is because worry is the enemy of trust. Trust is a foundation stone that we stand on the minute we meet Jesus. We are not just asked to trust, we are mandated to. When we worry, we are replacing our foundation on which we stand and end up crumbling. Trust and worry are both founded in faith. It is why they are both powerful. Worry is not a lack of faith. Worry is sign of misplaced faith. It says that I have more faith in bad happening than faith that He will work things out for my good (Romans 8:28). It's a big deal because with faith we can move mountains (Matthew 17:20, Mark 11:23). In order for us to grow in the Lord and to be able to stand firm in Him, worry must be eliminated from our life. It cannot be allowed or even tolerated. It is our enemy that wants us constantly uneasy and on shaky ground. It must be defeated. 

Worry is defeated when I trust. I can't worry and trust at the same time. When I trust Him, it opens the doors of my heart to peace.  Peace is what I was designed to live in. Peace surpasses understanding and literally guards my heart and mind (Philippians 4:7). That means peace is militaristic in nature. It guards, protects and keeps the enemy out. Peace is powerful, but peace is born out of trust. It can't guard if it doesn't exist in our lives. So, I feel like the question He is asking isn't "can you trust Me?",  the question He is asking is "WILL you trust Me?"



No comments:

Post a Comment